Thursday 14 April 2011

Random Songs and Scenes in Movies

Isn’t it funny how a song can completely define a scene in a movie, which in turn makes watching the movie a defining moment?

One of these moments happened to me when I was watching Babel – when the deaf Japanese schoolgirl goes to the nightclub. You can hear the doof doof of the music before the scene actually crosses to the club. It builds anticipation, as you kind of recognise the song but aren’t exactly 100% sure what it is.

Finally it crescendos and climaxes into an amazing remix of Earth Wind and Fire’s September, and it is one of the best musical build ups ever. Then it falls silent, and you wonder on earth happened – then you realise, that is the viewpoint of the Japanese schoolgirl – and you realise just how different it must living in a world without sounds (check it out here - sorry won't let me embed).

So whenever I hear Dancing in September, I make sure I turn it up loud, and thank my lucky stars that I am able to experience a musical masterpiece. Imagine, a world without Earth Wind and Fire.






To make a donation to Deaf Australia please visit www.givenow.com.au/deafaustralia, or for further information on how you can offer support please visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment